Red Wine Stain Removal Problem Solved!
Why research red wine stain removal when you should be researching "How to protect your carpet from red wine spills". When you are having a party featuring anything that could permanently damage your carpeting such as barbecue wings, red wine, foods with red dye etc, roll out a layer of GPS Carpet Plastic which will stick to the carpet and stay there until you pull it up? Your neighbor with the 5" stiletto heals will not puncture this film. It is tough. If you are hosting a children's painting party this is a perfect time to roll out the Carpet Plastic!
Surface protection films are a growing segment in our business because home owners and contractors alike realize the benefit to preserving what exists, and not taking a chance on damaging it. Consumers now realize that there is a product out there that will adhere to the carpet and protect it vastly better than throwing a drop cloth or draping some visqueen type plastic. This highly touted and greatly regarded carpet covering is called, GPS Carpet Plastic. GPS Carpet Plastic is a self adhesive flexible film that can be safely rolled out onto the carpet to keep debris or paint off the carpet while work is being done. This carpet covering is also used for protecting the carpet during parties! Yes sir, GPS Carpet Plastic will keep Aunt Millie's glass of red wine off your carpet, when she starts waving her arms and throws her red wine onto your carpet!
The secret behind GPS Carpet Plastic is the state of the art adhesive. Not just any old adhesive from outside the U.S. will do. The adhesive has met certain unique criteria that will insure that when you lay it down on your carpet, that your carpet won't turn colors when you remove it. Imagine your horror, if you pull up a sub-standard product only to find your fine wool Berber carpet is now orange! NO Thanks! It's best to play it safe and use GPS Carpet Plastic, that has safely covered the most expensive carpets to regular old carpet.
Clean-up is a small fraction of the time when proper surface protection is used.
How to install the Red Wine On Carpet Spill Protection
1) You want to roll GPS Carpet Plastic out starting at one end of the room. You don’t want to install it in a stretched state. This happens mostly when people adhere one end, then walk or run to the other end of the hallway or room with the roll in the air, then adhere the film. It will appear to adhere well, but will be floating by the next day. This film has a ton of memory, so wants to go back to the original length. I liken it to trying to adhere a stretched rubber band.
2) Make sure your carpeting is completely dry if it has been recently cleaned. If it is brand new carpeting, make sure it has a few days to off-gas before you adhere GPS Carpet Plastic to it.
3) Check wool or wool blend carpeting, where the carpet is losing a lot of fibers. GPS Carpet Plastic may not work on Wool carpets that contain a lot of oils. They also tend to have a direction where the carpet feels like it shifts when you step on it. This causes the film to move on the surface, and often works its way loose.
4) The adhesive system is pressure sensitive. Make sure you apply pressure, so you get a good bite to the carpeting.
5) BRRR it’s cold in here…Make sure the temperature is warm. The initial grab strength is important. Adhesive basically gets less and less sticky as it is colder and colder, up to the point where it is frozen and loses adhesion all together. This product uses a "soft" adhesive which becomes less soft as the temperature decreases. It gets its bite by flowing microscopically around the ends of the carpet fibers. Being able to do so makes a big difference on how well it adheres, both initially, and over the next couple of days..