The goal of creating a light dep greenhouse is nothing new. But what is the most cost effective and labor efficient solution to achieve complete darkness in a greenhouse? Will regular black plastic work as well as an engineered film? Engineered film is plastic sheeting what has additives and is manufactured in a way to make it superior to regular plastic sheeting. It’s a special recipe/ formula specifically for the purpose it is designed to fill.
A light dep blackout tarp/film that is stronger (won’t rip or tear easily) than regular black tarps, and lasts longer in the sun is a noble goal. Enter our engineered film- built to our specifications.
Ultra Blackout tarp achieves the following goals:
- Strength: To achieve a stronger, tear resistant cover you can either add string reinforcement, or you can make it thicker- much thicker. But making it thicker makes it heavier and much harder to move and work with. By adding a layer of diamond scrim between two layers of plastic you get a strong tarp that is easy to work with.
- Longevity: Withstands being outdoors in the sun: Most run of the mill black plastic literally decomposes when the sun hits it day after day. By engineering the film and adding a UV additive, this same black plastic, now can have a longer life in the sun. Ultra Blackout greenhouse tarp has an 18 month U.V. guarantee!
- Complete darkness: Ultra Blackout is manufactured to be devoid of pin holes.
- Optimal Colors: Black on one side, white on the other: The white side of the film serves to reflect much of the light entering the greenhouse and improves the light conditions within the growing area. During the long, low-light winter months this is an added benefit. Putting the white side as the top surface reflects the heat and helps maintain an environment with even heat distribution and lower energy costs. The black side on the inside creates a dark environment.
- Meets Measured Test Criteria: Ultra Blackout has the tests to prove it meets standards that have been measured and tested. This insures you get what you pay for and can have a greenhouse blackout tarp that makes you life easier and more profitable.